1. Connect to the server with the IP: play.datpixel.net

Regarding Roleplay's Crashes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Steven, May 20, 2017.

1. Steven

Steven Owner
    Staff Member Owner

Hello,

I regret to inform everyone that the reason Survival's been crashing 5 times a day is merely due to people's stupidity. Who would have guessed? Anyway this announcement more/less serves as a "reason for outage" or RFO as I like to call it.

First reason for major crashes (5/19/2017):
    Someone decided to donate with the username "O" instead of their full name. We figured this was because of auto-complete in chrome and instead of actually hitting enter for the suggested results they just went ahead and used "O" anyway. This username actually caused mojang lookups for the UUID to stall as it's such a short name. Furthermore, our donation system was unable to find a UUID for a name this small and thus ended up crashing it + the whole server with it.

Second reason for major crashes (5/20/2017):
    Someone (whom we will disclose is @Titopolly) decided it would be a marvelous idea to select the biggest area they could and do //set redstone. We've had more crashes like these before due to people abusing worldedit but this one is more profound. We've seen over 3 crashes today just due to this very problem of people filling an entire area with physics-sensitive blocks. We've banned every block in the redstone section so rest assured, no more crashes due to this stupidity.

Once again, I would like to apologize for all the downtime this week. People abuse/exploit/do stupid things and we simply patch them. Like with every crash we get, we investigate them to find the root cause and employ fixes to ensure they do not happen in the future. As people do these kinds of things it only makes us more resilient to such stupidity.

~ Steven

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Crisppyyy

Crisppyyy Member

Thank you for making sure this doesn't happen again, Steven! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. abs

abs Member

oh wow you should let her back on soon so she dosnt get mad or do anything

4. Steven

Steven Owner
    Staff Member Owner

Unfortunately this user has caused us 1.5 hours of downtime and potential player loss. This damages our server's reputation and we cannot have these kind of users back online. There will also be no way for this user to appeal either, we've further banned this user on buycraft so purchasing an unban will not be possible either.

5. Classy_Brotato

I want to find this surprising but I just can't.

6. SophieGamer

SophieGamer Member

@Steven ,Don't worry, We all know that some servers may crash due to some people's stupidity, It is normal on any server, For me personally, I only like playing on this server the most ever, so it's okay for me if the server crashes, we ALL appreciate your work on our server Steven! Even the best servers can sometimes crash! And we know you can handle it all because you are the best owner! Keep it up and think positively! <3

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. I_Vortex

I_Vortex Member

Not to mini mod but you should make a ban appeal instead of here

8. Crunchy_Cookies

Please could you bring back redstone - my piston doors for my shop won't work without it. Could you bring back redstone for people who request it. Also mounts aren't available to king+ could you fix this.

9. Classy_Brotato

I'd put this in server suggestions :/

10. _Dauntless_

_Dauntless_ Member

Thank you For the information!!! i was curious about this!

11. panda1_

panda1_ Member

Could you change the world edit config so //set redstone is not a possibility

12. ColinnnnX

ColinnnnX Member

me personally i think was a stupid move to add world edit and redstone. like for real. and then not only that, but whenever it crashes, it takes like 30 minutes to get back up.
    ~Colin

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DavidGoulding

DavidGoulding Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That is the case now